The overuse of antibiotics has become a modern-day epidemic. These drugs have depleted our natural immunity by killing the good bacteria in our guts and also creating super-bugs that have become resistant to almost any form of prescribed drug around. Instead of making yourself weaker, and depleting your body’s natural ability to cure itself from any number of ailments, try utilizing natural foods and herbs to ditch the Big Pharma meds for good.
Here are 8+ foods which harness natural antibiotic properties:
1. Astragalus – An adaptogen, meaning it is an overall tonic for the body, astragalus has been used for thousands of years in Chinese medicinal practices to boost the immune system and counteract physical, mental, and emotional stress. Research has shown that it can be very effective at treating colds, protecting the liver, and keeping viruses at bay.
2. Onions – This great tasting food is both antibacterial and antiseptic. If a person were to suck on a raw onion, it is thought that the healing components of the food could suck the disease right out of them. You can even place some cut up onions in your kitchen to protect against unwanted bacteria to keep your whole house healthy. When mixed with lime juice and a few other natural constituents, onions were even shown to eradicate antibiotic resistant Escherichia coli. Check out some other health benefits of onions here.
3. Cabbage – One of the cruciferous vegetables, cabbage has anti-microbial properties which can kill all kinds of diseases naturally. The antibiotic properties of cabbage are increased once it has been fermented as well. So eat your sauerkraut, or better yet, make your own.
4. Honey – Although honey has always been used to fight off infection, scientists have just recently identified one secret ingredient in honey that makes it a natural antibiotic because it kills unwanted bacteria. It’s a protein called defensin-1 which bees add to honey when they make it. It does what it sounds like too – makes your immune system a full defense against disease.
5. Fermented Vegetables – Reseeding your gut with good microbes, which can be found in just about all fermented vegetables, can keep your immune system on full-tilt. If you haven’t already heard, your gut health accounts for about 80% of your overall immunity to disease, so putting the good bacteria back in is essential.
6. Cinnamon – Sometimes called a ‘lethal’ natural antibiotic, cinnamon has been used medicinally for ages. Pure, real Ceylon cinnamon can even stop E.Coli in its tracks, a stubborn bacteria that causes many diseases. Experts at Kansas City State University found that not only does cinnamon act as a natural antibiotic, it is so full of antioxidants that it helps to boost the immune system in numerous ways.
7. Sage – This herb is a wonderful natural solution for upper respiratory system issues. It can also help with stomach ailments, reduce fever naturally, and help with the common cold and flu.
8. Thyme – Both thyme leaf and thyme oil are very effective natural antibiotics. A compound in thyme oil called thymol is also anti-microbial, anti-fungal and anti-protozoal properties.
There are other natural antibiotics out there too. They include:
- Dill, mustard seed
- Lemon balm
- Wild Indigo
- Olive leaf
- Pau D’ Arco
- Cayenne pepper
- Colloidal silver
- Grapefruit seed extract
- Oregano oil
With such a large offering from mother nature to treat ailments naturally, with all of their vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients to boot, why would we ever choose pharmaceuticals? These natural remedies also cost pennies per day to either grow or purchase and take as preventative medicine.
Other Popular Stories:
- Could Oregano Oil Replace Antibiotics in Livestock Treatment?
- Why Probiotics are Essential if you are Taking Antibiotics
- 3 Natural Antibiotics Already in Your Kitchen
- Have Antibiotics ‘Shut Down’ Your Immune System?
- 5 Natural Antibiotic Solutions for Antibiotic-Resistant Infections
- Research Shows Cinnamon Could Fight Resistant Bacterial and Viral Infections
* * *
– Rev. Dragon’s Eye,
Founder and Chief-Elder of the Temple,
TEMPLE OF THE ANCIENT DRAGON